Jan 19, 2014

Quick Updates on Picture Books

As I mentioned in the last post, I've shifted this particular blog to the back burner for a few months while I attend to details related to the release of ODIN'S PROMISE this spring. 



And yet… with the ALA Midwinter Conference just a week away, I have to spend a little time here, sharing some love for picture books. Not that I'll be able to attend, but I'll at least view the live presentations for the Youth Media Awards via social media on Monday, January 27. As I explained in a recent post, it's not so much because I'm a fangirl of award-winners and lists. I am, however, a huge fan of anything and everything that shines a spotlight on quality literature for young readers. 




Having one of those shiny silver or gold award seals on the cover assures that these titles will stay in print, and will continually be referenced in recommended lists. This year I again happen to know the creators of several picture books that are undoubtedly under consideration. (They shall remain nameless in order to avoid any possible "jinx" effect.)




But… there are only so many awards to go around. 




Last year is a good example of that, especially in the Caldecott category. Despite awarding a veritable bouquet of honors titles, the amazing Z IS FOR MOOSE, by Kelly Bingham and illustrated by Paul O. Zelinsky, was not among those honored. In fact, Horn Book gave Moose their own award, the WTF,ALA? award, in recognition of their surprise at this oversight.




Eligibility for Caldecott consideration is limited to illustrators from the USA, so no jinx-factor can come into play by sharing this Nerdy Book Club blog post by Carrie Gelson. In her post, 

she brings to the front of the stage her ten favorite Canadian illustrators and sample titles. Each and every one appeals to me, and the ones I haven't yet read are now on my library hold list.   Check them out. 

Greenwillow Books, 2012
In the meantime, I'll continue to read picture books, add my reviews on Goodreads, and return here to share titles as often as I can. The beautiful nature of picture books is that they are complete, compact, and compelling, able to communicate stories, emotions, and inspiration in relatively little time. They are bite-sized experiences with literature, often of the highest possible calibre. 

Stay tuned for my intermittent posts here over the next several months. When it comes to picture books sometimes I just can't contain myself! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Picture books are as versatile and diverse as the readers who enjoy them. Join me to explore the wacky, wonderful, challenging and changing world of picture books.